Posts in Category

Community

Fintech companies in Nigeria are rapidly growing. In Q1 last year, funding for African startups hit a new record, with approximately 89% of all funding allocated to fintech startups in the region.  Nigeria is one of many African countries working to make financial services accessible to everyone. As smartphone users grow and digital IDs become the norm – all eyes are on fintech startups to pave the way for financial inclusion in Nigeria. Nigeria’s mission to achieve financial inclusion  A quick Google search will tell you that there are at least 150 fintech

If you’ve been on TikTok lately, chances are you’ve come across food critic, Keith Lee.  The MMA fighter-turned-food critic has dedicated his online platform to helping underrepresented Black-owned restaurants get the spotlight they deserve.  In a recent video, popular TikToker Keith Lee revealed that he had helped a struggling Black business raise $30,000 in under 24 hours. Through his honest but rewarding TikTok reviews, struggling businesses have seen an enormous influx of customers, with many going from no customers to completely selling out.  After making his way home, Lee spotted

Female and Latinx-founded fintech company, Mendoza Ventures, has taken a massive step in its move to invest in underrepresented startups.   Bank of America’s Investment  Mendoza recently achieved a first close on its third $100M fund to further their work to support startups founded by diverse founders.   The fund, led by Bank of America (BofA), included Grasshopper Bank alongside multiple other investors. The anchor funding comes from BofA’s commitment to making capital much more accessible to founders often overlooked by investors.  “Mendoza Ventures is at the forefront of supporting innovation and

This article was originally published by Hana Gabrielle on Medium. Discovering my passion in tech In Fall 2017, I took an introductory computer science (CS) course, CS 1110, with Professor Walker White and immediately became more interested in CS. Before Walker White started his lectures, I always looked around to find my kababayans, or my fellow Filipinos, in CS 1110 without much luck. I was also too shy to initiate a conversation with a classmate near me, so I did not know many of my CS 1110 classmates, which made

New data has revealed that there has been an uptick in the amount of capital funding Black founders in the U.S. raised in Q4 of 2022. Although this shows that the tide may finally be turning, founders have yet to receive adequate funding to scale their businesses successfully.   According to Crunchbase, Black startup founders raised around $264 million out of the $33.6 billion allocated in Q4 of 2022.  This may seem small, but a slight increase from the $178 million raised from July to September 2022.  What did last year

The Hispanic Technology Executive Council (HITEC) and the Illinois Institute of Technology have come together to support the growth of Hispanic tech talent by opening the door to educational opportunities and scholarships within technology and business. HITEC Foundation scholars and HITEC corporate Emerging Executive Program graduates looking to pursue an MBA or Master of Science degree from the Illinois Tech Stuart School of Business will be considered for scholarships worth up to $2 million. Everything you need to know about HITEC and the Illinois Tech HTEC is a global executive

Hack. Diversity’s mission is to shake up the industry, and after receiving a $500,000 grant from The Barr Foundation, they are on the road to achieving this goal. The Barr Foundation’s program expansion According to reports, non-profit organization Hack. Diversity was awarded a two-year $500,000 grant from the Barr Foundation.  The grant is a part of the organization’s initiative to advance racial wealth equity and its partnership with Hack. Diversity is a testament to that.  The grant will allow Hack. Diversity to expand their program impact and remove the hurdles

Black Girl Fest (BGF) has announced the expansion of their BGF x eBay Seller Academy program for Black women.  BGF x eBay’s partnership  The partnership began in late 2021 and has been extended to help further Black women successfully grow and scale their online businesses.  For twelve weeks, Black women will have access to learn more about developing an online business through eBay’s marketplace. The initiative aims to teach the women three key sectors; how to build their confidence when selling online, connect with other like-minded Black women business owners, and use

From tech conferences to business challenges, HP’s global chief information officer (CIO) Ron Guerrier, is spearheading the tech giant’s work with HBCUs to build and foster Black talent into tech. Throughout his pathway to IT leadership, Guerrier has made it his priority to speak up about the lack of diversity in the industry. The trailblazer’s new partnership with HBCU is a further testament to his commitment to helping his community break into the sector.     HP’s partnership with HBCUs  Through Guerrier, HP will be working alongside HBCUs to build a

Dr. Lakeysha Hallmon is the entrepreneur behind The Village Market Atlanta, a community hub for Black businesses to help them connect and engage with their consumers.  What is The Village Market? Over the years, The Village has become a staple in Atlanta for many Black-owned businesses. In addition, the thriving village has connected with small businesses across 38 different states in four other countries, which is a testament to the platform’s growing popularity.  To date, The Village has spotlights thousands of Black-owned businesses specializing in all-natural products and foods. In

1 10 11 12 13 14 47 Page 12 of 47